Chappell Funeral Home is proud to have served the Fennville community for nearly 100 years. A commitment of caring professional service passed down from one family to the next.
Chappell Funeral Home began in the 1920's when Mr. Jay Burch purchased what was originally a furniture and undertaking business. The expansion to a full time funeral home occurred in 1932 when the Burch family gave up part of the family home to create what is now the site of the funeral home on West Main street in Fennville, Michigan.
Mr. Burch and his family served the Fennville community for 28 years. His commitment and dedication to the community of Fennville is shown by his willingness to put his own name on the business, Burch Funeral Home. In 1948 when Mr. Burch sold the Funeral Home to Mr. Lynn Chappell, Mr. Chappell changed the name Burch Funeral Home, to what is still known today as Chappell Funeral Home, the Chappell name has now become a legacy.
Mr. Chappell worked hard to improve the Funeral Home over his 20 years of service. The most notable renovation was the addition of the large east chapel.
In 1967 Mr. Chappell sold the funeral home to Richard and Marilyn Scovill. In keeping with the heart of the Chappell Funeral Home, Mr. Scovill kept its name and values of working hard to ensure the same caring professional service. Mr. Scovill loved Fennville, taking the time to become invested not only in his business, but also the community, serving on the local community board for 20 years. His oldest son William (Bill), grew up watching the values of professional care and service displayed by his parents to a community they all loved. Seeing these values and with the same heart, Bill and his wife Kathy took over the business from his father in 1991, where he served for 26 years and was deeply invested in the Fennville community where he still resides today.